Friday, August 20, 2010

With "transitional" neighborhoods come "transitional" schools.

IMG_2529

This week has been exhausting, but rewarding. Our awesome new home is zoned for not-so-awesome schools. Enter, the task of getting into a magnet school or getting transferred. We moved here in June, after the application deadline for magnet schools so, not surprisingly, we were denied. So the next option was to transfer to another school, that actually, our home was zoned for as little as 10 years ago. It's a cute 90 year old beloved school called Lily B Clayton Elementary in the Berkley neighborhood next to us.

After being 2nd in line for a 30 hour marathon campout, we met a lot of new friends and managed to walk away with the second to last transfer spot. We were lucky and we couldn't be happier.

Yes, we could have stayed at our zoned school and don't get me wrong, I've thought A LOT about it. I mean, it's not gonna get any better if folks move into the neighborhood and transfer out. Maybe it's my duty to stick it out and do my part in making it a better school? I don't know. I really don't, but for now, Lily B seems like the best answer for my daughter. It's still plenty diverse and it's got a great reputation. I'm thrilled for her and sad that my sweet girl is starting school. I'm gonna miss that sweet face around here.

No comments: