Thursday, July 10, 2008

Here's What Sally Does

I don't know how many of you follow Sally's periodic account of her photography business, the GreyFinch blog. If you don't, then you probably haven't seen this picture of a wedding she shot down in Cocoa Beach, Florida.

If anyone ever asks me why I think Sally's a great photographer, I'll point to images like this. I think it reveals her heart. Sure, she's becoming a great technician of photography: adjusting any number of factors to account for tricky lighting and other situations. But she's got something else: an instinct that seeks out and captures a line of nails in a pier.

The picture stands alone without metaphor, but I love the idea of the nails representing the days of a lifetime leading to that moment. The nails don’t form a straight line, but the carpenter kept right on driving them into each board. The line snakes and resets itself as it moves down the pier and through time, leading to the couple and to whatever lies beyond.

Thanks for letting me be part of this, Sally. And happy birthday yesterday.

1 comment:

America said...

I did see this on her blog and loved it then also!