Friday, October 13, 2006

Ah... I feel better.





Last weekend we were taking a walk in our neighborhood and came across this amazing performance-art theatre group called Redmoon putting on a show in our neighborhood park. Well, I say it's our "neighborhood park," but it's huge. Columbus park is a Chicago parks district gem designed by Jens Jensen that features a picturesque lagoon, some classic Chicago architecture, and a nine-hole golf course.

What we happened upon was Redmoon's annual spectacle event. It was truly outstanding. At twilight, they transformed the park with all kinds of performers and scenes. They weren't jugglers and stilt walkers, but actors playing out surreal vignettes. In one corner there was a woman dressed up as a swan in a giant nest. She would sleep in her nest for a few minutes and then awake and move and sway to the sounds of a deep cello. Around the pathway, there was a guy dressed as a bird reading books on his perch, whistling like a bird, and operating a complex pulley system to open and close book covers. There was a "sea creature" rowing oars from a clawfoot tub, a victorian courtship balcony scene where each of the characters were covered in mirrors, a giant fish that lit up and roamed around the park, a chess match between goth clowns who constantly switched sides - and so so much more. Everything was so elaborate and beautiful: concept, lighting, color, music, wardrobe. I wish I were a better writer, able to paint a picture that captured the scene.

It made me feel so alive and reminded me that, aside from being a momma, I'm an artist as well. It's been a long time since I've fed that part of myself. Matt and I both share a love for these things. I think the performance aspects resonate for him and the colors and costuming excite me. It was such a fun night and such an unexpected thing to bump into just two blocks from our house. Francis loved it too. This is why I love living here. Nevermind that it snowed yesterday.

Click the blog title to be taken to a full set of photos.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

What a neat thing to have stumbled upon! Sorry to hear that it snowed on you yesterday. It rained here so Rosa Jane & I headed out to splish splash in the driveway. We can't wait to come see you next week. Do you think we'll catch any fall colors?

katherine petillo said...

wow. i was wondering what those pictures were. they are inspiring to look at. i can't imagine stumbling across the real thing. maybe that's what heaven is like. have fun with kb and rj. i'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to see a Redmoon performance! Thats soooo cool. My friend Ryan was trying to get signed on as a puppet maker for the group but it didn't work out. Now I have to see one after looking through your pictures. I think their season is closing soon though with winter approaching, I think they have to always perform outside or something....anyways, take care! love you guys!